Connect to EECS SSH from Windows:
To connect to EECS SSH servers from Windows, we recommend using a program such as PuTTY.
Follow the steps below to install PuTTY and connect to the EECS SSH servers.
- Download putty.exe from the following website: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
- Run the file you just downloaded. (PuTTY is a self extracting executable, so it can be run from the location you downloaded it to. You shouldn't need administrative rights to install it)
- A new window box should appear that looks like this:
- EECS maintains several public SSH servers. See this article for a list of servers available to choose from.
- Pick a server from the list above, and type it into the "Host Name (or IP address)" field in the PuTTY Configuration window.
- Once you have entered the host name, press the "Open" button.
If you have entered the previous information correctly, a new terminal window should open, and will prompt you for your username.
Use your EECS username and password. If you don't know your EECS username and password, see the KB article here to learn the basics.
That's it! Your're done. You've successfully connected to the EECS SSH servers.